Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 03:05:00 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > And the other workflow, the one written by Karl and Stephen,
 > suggested a bound branch from the get-go,

It did, but I don't see your point.  The bound branch was used only
for collecting commits; it was intended to be a perfect mirror of the
remote (public) repository at all times.  In that sense it plays a
role similar to git's remote tracking branch, although the mechanics
and timing of synchronization are rather different.  The fact that it
was bound was a convenience.  (It eliminated a "push" that would
otherwise have been necessary.  But it is easy to implement the same
basic workflow without bound branches.  I use it in Mercurial
workspaces, for example.)  But you didn't edit files in that branch.

In a CVS-like workflow, on the other hand, one works "in" the bound
branch.