Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 07:05:49 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > Our recommendations for using Bzr with Emacs "threw away" the
 > same advantage, by directing people to make a bound branch.
 > Apparently that wasn't a big loss.

Actually, you omit important history.  Karl Fogel and I wrote a modern
workflow (one which is used successfully by many many developers in
projects using DVCSes), you and Ken'ichi screamed, Eli rewrote it to
look like CVS.  Fortunately, you guys were quite late to the party,
and everybody else either used a DVCS-enhanced workflow already, or
read the original BzrForEmacsDevs with the DVCS-enhanced workflow.

So we'll actually never know whether the current version of
BzrForEmacsDevs was a bad idea in general.  But you should be aware
that it is very much adapted to a very small number of Emacs voices
with disproportionate weight.