Re: VC mode and git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:58:54 -0400

>> >   . using the script, the commit+push are not an atomic operation, so
>> >     the commit could succeed, but the following push could fail,
>> >     leaving your repository out of sync
>> That's true: we need to uncommit if the push fails.
>> BTW, we could/should make this case very rare by adding a pre-commit
>> hook which makes sure that we're up-to-date before we can commit.
> That's not a job for a pre-commit hook, IMO.

Why not?  That would avoid the kind of state Richard go into, IIUC.
That's also what Bzr would do on a bound branch.

>> I don't see why Richard (or someone in his situation) would ever need to
>> do a local commit.
> I think you forget commits after a conflict resolution, e.g. after a
> merge from another branch.

No I don't (you had already mentioned it in the text I quoted).
There's no reason why these commits should be local.

> I'm sure there are more situations like that.  I don't think we can
> assume that absolutely _every_ commit can do a push upstream.

Bzr bound branches did just that and it's never been a problem
(i.e. --local was only ever needed for offline operation).

        Stefan