Re: git is screwed

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: git is screwed
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 11:27:42 +0100

Hi,

Jonas Bernoulli <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> And that I was not interested in being told that this is a misconception
> of mine.

Out of curiosity, did anybody say that (I don't recall having seen it, and
I followed the last discussion on magit)?  If so it's obviously not OK.

> Fixing that is the primary, if not only, priority right now.  I going
> to release 2.1.0 once the documentation is ready and that's still quite
> a bit of work.

I'm excited to see this now, as I'm probably using the "obsolete" version.

> (And several people here implying that those of us who have embraced the
> staging area suffer from Stockholm syndrome certainly doesn't motivate
> me to rethink this decision).

I also haven't seen those posts either (I don't care much for "meta post
about git"), but it sounds unfortunate that somebody would use such harsh
words.

In any case, I often work on ISSUE X and thus become aware of BUGFIX Y.  I
will fix both and use magit to make different commits.  I have no idea how
to do that /without/ magit.  E.g. rebase -i and branch I find easier from
CLI, though I try to force myself to explore magit more.

—Rasmus

--
Lasciate ogni speranza o voi che entrate: siete nella mani di'machellaio