Re: VC mode and git

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:21:47 +0100

() Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
() Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:45:07 +0200

   We could support the "commit much more often" workflows by
   having an option that determines whether and when to try
   pushing after a commit, one of the values could be 'never'.

I think in practice many people will set this to ‘never’ and
then continue "manual push" (whether it be in the form of a
future ‘vc-push’ or as a shell command invocation).  Furthermore
when the weirdness happens for slightly-misaligned functionality
for those users who do not set it to ‘never’, those users will
be less likely to report problems and follow through w/ their
resolutions than to query the net.wisdom and finally move to the
‘never’ camp, washing their hands of the mess once and for all.
Thus, long term, such a feature will be underused, undertested
and definitely underappreciated.

So my lazy-maintainer spidey-sense tells me that, rather than
adding an imperfect heuristic layer, it would be better to add a
primitive (i.e., ‘vc-push’) and let people invoke it as part of
their personal (and IME instance-specific!) post-commit workflow
by the standard means (keyboard macro, hook, advice).

In this way, the hacking we encourage will be likewise addative,
instead of deconstructive and ultimately ignorant.

[recips clamped]

--
  (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: