Re: Can we make set_point_both less expensive?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Can we make set_point_both less expensive?
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:23:24 -0400

>> It's right after an incomplete redisplay, and right before the
>> next redisplay.  I count this as still "before redisplay" since it's
>> immediately followed by redisplay.
> It is "during redisplay" in the sense that the position of cursor was
> not yet finalized, and you already move it, perhaps for no good
> reason.

I don't deny it can be described differently.  I.e. sometimes it
happens during redisplay, sometimes it happens in a sit-for, sometimes
it happens at the end of a command.  But always it happens right
before a redisplay.

> Ah, I misunderstood your question.  The answer for your question is
> "abort redisplay cycle after moving point out of intangible".

In which case you risk inf-looping (and hence need to detect/prevent
it), same as with pre-redisplay-function.

        Stefan