mailing lists and Cc:

From: Ivan Shmakov
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:45:56 +0000

>>>>> Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
>>>>> Ivan Shmakov wrote:

        This is hardly of any relation to bug#20154 anymore, so
        s/20154@/emacs-devel@/.

[…]

 >> I don't seem to recall any issues with me trying to stick to the
 >> custom (of /not/ Cc:-ing) I've learned earlier;

 > Obviously _you_ won't see any issues.

        Should you check the bug-gnu-emacs@ archive, you’d see my
        follow-ups being replied to just fine.  And that’s exactly what
        I’ve meant.

[…]

 > Mailman has optional duplicate suppression, and so does any decent
 > mail client (eg Gnus).

        Mailman can also be configured so that it requires moderator’s
        approval for submissions from non-subscribers, so it makes sense
        to subscribe to a list even when you do /not/ want to receive
        any messages from it.  Note that it’s still possible to read
        many of such lists elsewhere.

        Now, you subscribe to the list – for your messages to go
        through; you disable delivery – so you can read the list via
        Gmane…  And you still get the traffic – thanks to Cc:.

        Not that it bothers me much; my point is rather that duplicate
        suppression is of no value here.  And no, I know of no way to
        configure Gnus so that it suppresses the messages from INBOX
        which are also seen in nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.bugs.

 > This is especially true for a bug list, where there should be zero
 > expectation for any correspondent to be subscribed.

        Actually, I /do/ Cc: the submitter when I suggest a fix or
        workaround to try, or when requesting for more information.
        (Provided that the submitter doesn’t also happen to be one of
        the emacs-devel@ regulars.)

 > I'm actually slightly surprised that

 > https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Mail.html

 > does not mention this.