Re: defcustom standard value and byte-compilation

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: defcustom standard value and byte-compilation
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 13:05:57 +0900

Tassilo Horn writes:

 > I'd have no problems cutting support for emacs <23 or even <24, but
 > cutting support for XEmacs is something which I'd prefer not to do
 > without extremely good reasons although that would make life much more
 > easy.

Greatly appreciated!

BTW, at the time I write this, Uwe hasn't responded to what I told him
on xemacs-beta, but I'm pretty sure his problem is that he loads
tex.el (from AUCTeX) in his init file.  By default XEmacs loads
customizations *after* init[1], so if Uwe used custom to set those
variables, they were empty when the defcustom was encountered in
tex.el.

 > Yes, I know.  But having non-prefixed (defvar name) etc just looks
 > so damn wrong.

If these aren't used to communicate with non-AUCTeX applications, just
rename them.  (I'm not sure if that is a wisecrack or a serious
suggestion.)

Footnotes:
[1]  I think since 21.4.  Why?  There was a convincing use case for
computing things that Customize depended on (perhaps the customization
file's name), don't recall the details but everybody in XEmacs-Review
was at least +0.  It's trivial to load custom.el by hand in init with
this order, to inhibit early loading requires a command-line option.