Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: antlr-mode.el - need some support by python.el
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 21:16:20 -0400

> The question is, do you really expect to be burned by unexpected
> narrowing/widening in indentation code.

I'm not sure what you mean by that question: if the outer mode uses
narrowing to specify the bounds of the chunk, then indentation code
can't use `widen'.  Use of narrowing inside the indentation code will be
fine, but use of widen will not.  Yet, "grep widen lisp/progmodes/*.el"
suggests that it's probably used by several indenters.

So, yes, I expect problems.

> Or to put it in a different way, the lack of an API (which encourages people
> use some unseemly approach) is not the same as an API that relies on
> it. Because we won't have to support it for ever and ever.

I think specifying the chunk bounds via some dynamically-scoped var is
a pretty safe option.  Maybe it will be supplanted in the future by some
other alternative, but it doesn't impose any particular implementation
constraint, contrary to the use of narrowing.

        Stefan