Re: The purpose of makunbound

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: The purpose of makunbound
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:59:22 -0500

> variables. Regardless of the interpretation, there are two different kinds
> of ‟unbind” events: the one caused by exit of a «let» (which
> unshadows/restores the outer/previous value), and the one caused by
> makunbound (which sets the value to void).

Ah, I think I understand a bit better.  I think treating "void" as an
event is the error: it's a state.  OTOH, the "revert to previous
state" done at the end of `let' is indeed an event.

So one is an action and the other is a state.

> or killing the buffer-local), yet the same terminology is used for both.

I don't see "unbind" used anywhere in the description of what `let'
does, nor is it a term that I've heard used (other than by yourself) to
refer to what happens at the end of a "let".

        Stefan