Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 22:38:13 +0000

The package menu is fantastic when you know what you're looking for. You just search for the package name or for a phrase, and you're likely to find it.

It's not that great when you just want to browse, specially if you have Melpa and Marmalade configured, simply because the menu is overwhelming. A few items that stand out to me:

1. The package list is ginormous and growing.
2. There are duplicate entries galore.
3. There's no useful sense of categories. (we have keywords,but see below).
4. Are there other points that people feel can be improved?

I can see myself writing something to improve 2.

Any solution for 3 would also be a solution for 1, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Also regarding 3: We have keywords but they are not the same thing as categories.
I'm not saying we should come up with yet another classification, but I'm saying that keywords need some serious work. It's not obvious to the user what keywords are available or how to browse them. And they're sort of all over the place with a lot of overlap.

Cheers to all,
Artur