Re: Dynamic loading progress

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dynamic loading progress
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 10:37:47 +0200

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:40:19 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>
> This raises another question: what exactly should go into emacs.h?  The more
> we
> put into emacs.h, the more likely plugin compatibility won't survive the
> transition from one version of Emacs to the next.

Right.  emacs.h should include the bare minimum, and each function,
macro, or variable we put there should have a very good reason for
being there.

IOW, we should design the interface between the modules and Emacs, and
we should do this ASAP, before the status quo forces us to make
compromises we will be unhappy with down the line.

I would start by coming up with the minimum set of requirements a
module needs to be able to communicate with Emacs.