Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 22:15:31 +0200

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 09:42:46 -0800
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> void
> foo(void* context)
> {
>   struct value* c = context;
>   bar(c);
> }
>
> Say I'm broken into the program just before the call to bar and I want
> to inspect some field of c. I should be able to print c->field, right?
> Except GDB tells me that c is <optimized out>, even though context is
> right there and contains the same bits!

Not sure what you mean by "right there".  IME, in these cases
'context' is also <optimized out>.  Try "info address" on both, and
see what it tells you.

In any case, I'm far from being an expert om DWARF and on recording
variable assignments in debug info.  I really suggest to report such
problems to the GCC and GDB developers, in case there are bugs there.