Re: Cairo branch.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Cairo branch.
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 18:04:30 +0200

> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 16:01:11 +0100
> From: "Jan D." <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu made the patch to demonstrate printing, so that is
> new (see x-print-frames-dialog or the Printing section in xfns.c).
>
> Otherwise it is just a step to keep up with the times, i.e. server side
> (as in X11 server) rendering is going away as it seems.  So Emacs must
> at some point develop client side (cairo) rendering.

Is the intent to use Cairo alone, or also use Pango?

If the latter, then one problem we'd need to figure out is what to do
with bidirectional display, since AFAIR Pango does its own reordering.

Another interesting issue is whether we want to use Cairo on Windows
as well, and eventually drop the w32-specific display back-end.