Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 21:13:19 +0100

* Eric S. Raymond:

> Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>> More precisely, Apple intends LLVM and Clang to make GCC cease to be a
>> signal success and a reason for all sorts of companies to work on a
>> compiler that always gives users freedom.
>
> This is silly.  Apple couldn't care less whether or not GCC is a success.
> What Apple needs is for a copylefted compiler not to be the *only* success.

Access to large parts of the Apple developer ecosystem now requires a
subscription.  Subscription agreements can be worded in ways that put
customers in breach of the agreement if they exercise their rights
under the copyleft licenses, and the vendor is still in full
compliance with the copyleft licenses.  Sure, the customer can
terminate the subscription agreement and then take the source code and
try to rebuild it, but only at the price of leaving the ecosystem.
(I think some of the game consoles actually implemented this model.)

In short, I doubt that Apple really needs a non-copyleft compiler.