Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Contributing LLVM.org patches to gud.el
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 09:47:23 +0100

>   > > More precisely, Apple intends LLVM and Clang to make GCC cease to be a
>   > > signal success and a reason for all sorts of companies to work on a
>   > > compiler that always gives users freedom.  That would be a victory for
>   > > Apple and a defeat for freedom.
>
>   > At least once, Apple proposed to integrate LLVM as part of GCC.
>
> That appears to have been in 2005, before GPL v3 was published.
> GPL v3 is what Apple hates, because of its patent protection.

But the current attempts to strike against LLVM by making it harder to
interoperate with Emacs and GCC are _irrelevant_ with regard to patent
protection: the patent protection applies even for mere aggregation.

We are not changing Apple's policies.  What we are now doing is lashing
out against LLVM's users.  But they are not going to have a vote in what
compilers Apple provides/uses/permits anyway.

--
David Kastrup