Re: extending case-fold-search to remove nonspacing marks (diacritics et

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: extending case-fold-search to remove nonspacing marks (diacritics etc.)
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 12:04:00 +0200

> Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 11:41:37 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > Yes. By "understanding" I was referring to the c code necessary, not the
> > database. I've actually got quite familiar with the database. :-P
>
> OK, then please don't hesitate to post questions and ask for help,
> including for writing some code, if needed.  This doesn't have to be a
> single-person effort (unless you want it to be ;-).  Certainly advice
> and answers to questions are abundantly available here, for any code
> that is in the core, and for issues related to Unicode.

Btw, an alternative idea which might be worth exploring is to use
string-collate-equalp for comparison during search, or wcscoll it
calls on the C level.  That will use the character databases of the
underlying libraries, instead of using the Emacs's own databases (and
so will be less prone to customization), but that might be good enough
in this case.