Re: GNU Elpa Theme (ahungry-theme) - should I add code to auto load-them

From: Matthew Carter
Subject: Re: GNU Elpa Theme (ahungry-theme) - should I add code to auto load-theme it?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 14:58:45 -0500

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> The fact that the theme becomes active upon a require isn't unintended
>> functionality is it?
>
> I can't speak for the coder's intentions, but at least normally
> I'd consider it a bug.
>

>         Stefan

Hi Stefan,

By coder and bug, are you referring to my ahungry-theme ELPA package, or
the author of the deftheme components/package built into emacs 24?

My theme has 3 calls in it:

(deftheme ahungry)
(custom-theme-set-faces 'ahungry <theme face settings omitted>)
(provide-theme 'ahungry)

Which I thought were the 3 standard components to a custom theme file?

In most cases, a user has zero reason to #'require the theme unless they
plan to load it, so the fact that the #'require acts as a #'load-theme
(but based off the load-path instead of custom-theme-load-path) seems
like a good side-effect to me (at least until the ELPA generated
autoload file has support for adding ELPA loaded themes into the
custom-theme-load-path automatically).

--
Matthew Carter (address@hidden)
http://ahungry.com