Re: Dumper issue, revisited; invalid realloc/free

From: Rich Felker
Subject: Re: Dumper issue, revisited; invalid realloc/free
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 17:17:04 -0500

On Wed, Feb 04, 2015 at 10:40:15PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:08:42 -0500
> > From: Rich Felker <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > Upon checking master, w32heap.c is not using the system malloc. It's
> > its own implementation of the malloc API written on top of the Win32
> > HeapAlloc API.
>
> System malloc on Windows is a thin wrapper around HeapAlloc, so we are
> actually using system malloc.  There are good reasons why we call
> HeapAlloc directly, but they are immaterial for the purposes of this
> discussion.

Yes, but from my standpoint it's conceptually very different -- as
written, it's depending on interposing its own definition of malloc
and would not work, for example, on a windows runtime that uses a
malloc not based on HeapAlloc. (This is actually a practical
consideration, as we have someone working on a development environment
that brings musl to Windows with the intent of replacing both cygwin
and mingw with something that satisfies the major usage cases for both
and offers various advantages.)

Rich