Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:14:37 -0600

David Kastrup wrote:
Richard Stallman <address@hidden> writes
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]
However, linking with nonfree software in that same way would be a
violation.

The issues about plug-ins are more complicated and more specipic than
that putative principle would suggest.

Because I was not talking about plugins.  I was talking about making GCC
and Emacs interoperate.  That turns neither into a plugin of the other.

What we are looking for is essentially a way for Emacs to use GCC as a library. That makes GCC _act_ as a plugin for Emacs, even though it remains a separate program. The reason we want this is that simply dumping the AST might weaken GCC's copyleft in practice, but making GCC usable as a library will not.