Why is C-d not bound to `delete-forward-char'?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Why is C-d not bound to `delete-forward-char'?
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 16:17:20 -0600

Does anyone know why C-d is bound to `delete-char' instead of
'delete-forward-char'?

If I run "C-h k C-d", I get the help for `delete-char', which says:

  | C-d runs the command delete-char (found in global-map), which is an
  | interactive built-in function in `C source code'.
  |
  | It is bound to C-d.
  |
  | (delete-char N &optional KILLFLAG)
  |
  | Delete the following N characters (previous if N is negative).
  | Optional second arg KILLFLAG non-nil means kill instead (save in
  | kill ring).  Interactively, N is the prefix arg, and KILLFLAG is set
  | if N was explicitly specified.
  |
  | The command `delete-forward-char' is preferable for interactive use,
  | e.g.  because it respects values of `delete-active-region' and
  | `overwrite-mode'.

According to that last paragraph, `delete-forward-char' would be preferable for
interactive use, which implies that it should be on C-d instead, no?

Best,
-Karl