Re: On tabs and spaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: On tabs and spaces
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 13:17:20 +0300

On 01/15/2015 12:57 PM, David Kastrup wrote:

git blame does not spend that much of its time diffing.  Even if the
difference between plain and -w has become larger with Git 2.1+ (simply
because it wastes vastly less time with other endeavors), the bulk of
the run time is likely spent in unpacking files from the repository
rather than comparing them.

Would you consider this kind of difference of no consequence?

$ time git blame src/xdisp.c >/dev/null

real    0m11.875s
user    0m10.753s
sys     0m0.583s
$ time git blame -w src/xdisp.c >/dev/null

real    0m17.127s
user    0m16.779s
sys     0m0.356s

If you use a Git version older than 2.1

2.1.0 here.

But anyway, I distinctly remember the performance of blaming being one of the reasons why we shouldn't do whitespace-cleaning across the repository.