An easier way to edit variables

From: Tom
Subject: An easier way to edit variables
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 20:16:53 +0000 (UTC)

The other day I was browsing info and I saw a variable there. I
wanted to check its value and possibly modify it, so I did a C-h
v and then copied it into the M-: prompt for modification. It
occured to me it could be done more conveniently if info had a
key to show/edit the variable under point.

A while ago I had an idea about modifying a variable directly in
the Help buffer:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/168042

I don't know if somebody tried implementing the above idea, but
if it gets implemented then the two features could easily be
combined: when in info and reading about a variable I could
press, say, 'v' on it which would bring up the Help window of
describe-variable where I could immediately see the current value
of the variable and I could even modify it in place if I wanted
to.