Re: HTML-Info design

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: HTML-Info design
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 12:36:06 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > But this is largely unrelated to the "inside Emacs manual browsing",
 > because there's no way Emacs will be able to render this kind of
 > HTML+Javascript efficiently any time soon, I think.

Of course it can -- by hardcoding the Javascript (and CSS!)
*functionality* in EWW (or a derived mode specifically for browsing
Info-HTML).  You don't need to be able to parse and interpret
Javascript or CSS to provide equivalent functionality to the
Javascript and CSS recommended by Emacs.

Of course this violates DRY to some extent.

 > So, Nic's work is not competing against info.el, and it's actually
 > a work that tends to vote in favor of keeping Texinfo as the source
 > documentation format.

Agree.