Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 03:03:24 +0900

Lennart Borgman writes:
 > On Dec 20, 2014 5:47 PM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden> wrote:

 > > If you say so, but a quick look at the current W3C recommendation for
 > > HTML5 doesn't reveal anything like standard AJAX events, just the
 > > now-ancient ones like onclick and so on.  I don't think HTML5 has
 > > really changed anything in this respect: if you can do it with HTML5
 > > you can do it with HTML4.

 > There is AddEventlistener, XMLHttpRequest, etc.

Sure, but those are ancient Ecmascript and/or DOM features
(XMLHttpRequest is about 10 years old), not something added in HTML5
vs. earlier versions of HTML.[1]  As far as I can see, nothing has
changed: if we want robust reliable operation of Emacs manuals in
general purpose web browsers, we're going to want a well-tested,
maintained package that takes care of error handling, network
timeouts, and all those nitty-gritty details.

I can just imagine what the Bright. Shiny. Things. crowd will do if
Emacs publishes an HTMLized manual that tries to do AJAX and sucks at
it: laugh their asses off, and then go hack on Battle for Wesnoth.

With all due respect to your "I do this all the time" experience, I'll
believe it's "good enough" when I see a pretty big chunk of an Emacs
manual displayed in an implementation.

Footnotes:
[1]  To be precise, HTML5 has made the DOM much more central to the
specification, but all the same things would have worked in HTML4
and/or XHTML4.