Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d20acfe: Fix Gnus registry pruning and sorting,

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master d20acfe: Fix Gnus registry pruning and sorting, and rename file
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 20:18:40 +0800

On 12/19/14 02:39 AM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Some small comments on this change:
>
>> +(make-obsolete-variable 'gnus-registry-max-pruned-entries nil "24.4")
>
> I think you meant 25.1.
> Also, you haven't made it obsolete, you've removed it entirely:
>
>> -(defcustom gnus-registry-max-pruned-entries nil
>> -  "Maximum number of pruned entries in the registry, nil for unlimited."
>> -  :version "24.1"
>
>> +(defcustom gnus-registry-prune-factor 0.1
> [...]
>> +  :version "24.4"
>
> Again, 25.1.
>
>> +(defcustom gnus-registry-default-sort-function
>> +  #'gnus-registry-sort-by-creation-time
>> +  "Sort function to use when pruning the registry.
>> +
>> +Entries which sort to the front of the list will be pruned
>> +first.
>> +
>> +This can slow pruning down.  Set to nil to perform no sorting."
>> +  :version "24.4"
>> +  :group 'gnus-registry
>> +  :type 'symbol)
>
> Again, 25.1. Also, a better :type would be:
>
> (choice (const :tag "No sorting" nil) function)
>

> Also, as a general comment, Gnus changes almost never seem to get NEWS
> (or GNUS-NEWS) entries.

Thanks for these comments! To be honest, I don't really understand the
relationship between the gnus repository on gnus.org, and the gnus
codebase as it lives inside the emacs repo. I wrote those patches
against the gnus repo, and at the time (this was a while ago) emacs 25
wasn't out yet. Dunno how these things are meant to related.

Other points well taken, and I can provide a further patch to fix them.

Eric