Re: image-transform.el and image-mode.el rewrite

From: Vitalie Spinu
Subject: Re: image-transform.el and image-mode.el rewrite
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 20:46:41 -0800

 >>> Stefan Monnier on Thu, 18 Dec 2014 23:19:17 -0500 wrote:

 > the scaling at least should not be performed on the png images,

Then we might need a new "gs" backend.

 > image-transform-features:convert includes an insane amount of things
 > additionally to what we can ever expect to see in the native backend(s).

It's about 200 items in 240 lines. Is it really that big of a deal?

 > I don't really like the idea of "convert" being the definition of
 > what can be done.

It's not really all that can be done, but rather a rigorous syntax for
expressing transforms. image-transform.el needs a syntax for
representing transforms anyways, so we have to either invent it
ourselves or pick it from an established system like convert.

 > An intermediate solution might be to auto-generate the
 > bulk of the image-transform-features:convert entries from something like
 > "convert --help".

This is a good idea. It would also keep in sync with the installed
version of convert. I will look into that.

  Vitalie