Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 17:20:52 +0100

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Info browsers make it easy to browse manuals, search for index terms,
>>> follow links, including to other manuals.  A Web browser cannot achieve
>>> that because a Web browser is not designed for that.
>>

>> Not by itself, but with a good search engine it could.
>
> Not really.  Try an incremental full text search through the entire Info
> file.  Try jumping through the references for some index term.
>
> The best search engine does not give you a user interface for that kind
> of stuff.

You have to work a bit differently, but that does not mean it is not
just as useful.

My point is maybe a bit unclear. It matters a lot what search engine
you have and how you feed it with information. In the small project I
linked to I have had rather minimal success with Google CSE. So I
switched to OpenSearchServer and there I can do a lot of things I just
could imagine before. (This is just a small free time project, but
still a bit important, perhaps.)