Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Removing rollback from VC mode - request for comment
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 10:43:13 +0100

address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> Is it really important to support a VC-mode operation that experience
> has shown to generally be a Bad Thing,

We are really talking about RCS here.  RCS is not usually shared, at
least not network-shared.  I don't see that experience has shown
rollback to be a bad thing for RCS.  Experience does not tend to show a
lot for RCS anyway these days since few people are still using it.

> simply to preserve backward compatibility?  How do we evaluate
> tradeoffs when a featurectomy would reduce maintenance burden and
> possibly improve the quality of support for new systems?
>
> I don't think I have a pat answer to these questions.  Discuss.

I think that rollback may make sense in RCS-based workflows.  But I
don't think that this should be VC's problem.  VC does not provide every
functionality for every version control system, so think we should be
fine removing rollback from VC.  VC does not support every Git
functionality either: if it is really important to people, it can be
reimplemented in some RCS-specific mode/feature/library/command set.

--
David Kastrup