Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 11cf3e9: Implement a new function directory-fil

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 11cf3e9: Implement a new function directory-files-recursively
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 19:42:58 -0500

Hello people?

Maybe Eric is not following Emacs development very closely, but he's not
a complete idiot either.  So if you think he got his function wrong,
I think it's a bit presumptuous to think you can be sure your version
will be "the right one" without even discussing it on emacs-devel.

> +(defun directory-files-recursively (dir match &optional include-directories)
> +  "Return all files under DIR that have file names matching MATCH (a regexp).
> +This function works recursively.  Files are returned in \"depth first\"
> +and alphabetical order.
> +If INCLUDE-DIRECTORIES, also include directories that have matching names."

Eric's version allows precise control those subdirectories in which we
want to recurse and those in which we don't.  This is a very
important functionality.

> +  (let ((result nil)
> +     (files nil))
> +    (dolist (file (directory-files dir t))
> +      (let ((leaf (file-name-nondirectory file)))
> +     (unless (member leaf '("." ".."))
> +       (if (file-directory-p file)

And here you make the same mistake that I already pointed out to Eric:
using directory-files followed by file-directory-p on each file is about
10 times slower than using file-name-all-completions and checking the
presence of a final / instead.

        Stefan