Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 19:04:24 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 21:19:34 -0500
> Cc: emacs <address@hidden>
>
> That's not what I'm talking about.  I know that the MB/s processed by
> Texinfo-5 is much slower than Texinfo-4 and is unlikely to improve
> noticeably in the foreseeable future.  What I'm asking is whether
> Texinfo-5 could be improved so that it can do the work by processing
> fewer megabytes, because it would only process the modified files: the
> Elisp manual is about 3MB of Texinfo code, but usually you only work on
> a single one of those files, which is at most 300kB, so doing
> separate-compilation would give you a speed up of at least 10, making
> the result a lot more tolerable (and on which we can have control, so if
> it's still not fast enough we can split the manual into smaller files).

Makeinfo validates pointers and cross-references that could lead into
many other parts.  Separate compilation would need to leave some info
about those other parts in a form that is much more easily readable.

And then there's the --split-size option, the Index nodes (which are
computed from the entire document, and index entries from a single
file are non-contiguous), and other complications.  HTML output has
more of them, btw.

Sounds like a nice project.  How about bringing it up on the Texinfo
list?  Who knows, we might get lucky.