Re: Patch queue management systems

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Patch queue management systems
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 08:12:31 -0500

EZ> Personally, I think arranging the development around this kind of
EZ> process will not work without some critical mass of patch reviewers
EZ> who are able to endure the current constant high volume of changes,
EZ> let alone if we want to increase that volume.  Being an efficient
EZ> patch reviewer requires good knowledge of at least a few areas of the
EZ> Emacs core, and we currently have only a handful of people who can
EZ> qualify.  (The obvious exception from this rule is a maintainer of a
EZ> single package who can review patches for his/her package.)  From
EZ> experience of other projects, 5 reviewers is not enough for this task.

I wouldn't mind reviewing things in the queue when I'm able.

My wishlist for a patch queue management system (PR/pull request system
for those familiar with the Github model):

* targeted hydra builds for a specific branch

* a click-and-done way to merge a specific branch into master or emacs-24

* maybe a comment system

* maybe debbugs integration (but I do hate debbugs... really hate it...)

* ability to review the potential ChangeLog entries that will be
  generated from the commit

All of these, put together, would make it a pleasure to use.  As a
significant side benefit, Emacs wouldn't be the only project to benefit
from these improvements if they were made in Savannah.

Ted