Re: Metaproblem, part 3

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: Metaproblem, part 3
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 12:52:37 +0000

[…]

 >> The only reason I chimed in is because I'm one of those who would
 >> love to contribute more substantially, but needs guidance.  For
 >> example, I've got the basics of an epub-editing mode in place.  I'd
 >> like it to be a solid library, and would likely need assistance to
 >> get it there.

 > Can you figure out what is missing and phrase it into questions?
 > While there is the phenomenon that if you are asking 10 people,
 > you'll get 20 answers, I think that for basic problems the Emacs list
 > will not split into so many different factions of "do it my way" that
 > you'll get much more confusing answers from the group of people
 > reading this list than you would get from a single tutor.

        Furthermore, that’s where the discrepancy between vocality and
        productivity (so to say) may come to be an issue.

        My personal approach to the “how should I do this?” problem is
        to read the existing code.  (Literacy is gained first and
        foremost by reading, – not writing; computer literacy isn’t all
        that different.)  Hence, when I have an idea for which I could
        readily think of several implementations, my better question
        would be not “what of the following should I choose?” but rather
        “I want to do X; could you please point me to the existing code
        that does something like that?”

        And there, the more of the code I’ll be pointed to, and the more
        of that I’ll read through, the more informed my choice will be.

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A