Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 22:17:24 +0200

> From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden>
> Cc: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 20:18:21 +0100
>
> That being said, I do think we should consider alternatives to using the Info
> format.  Now that we have eww/shr, it might make sense to use HTML as well.
> Although we need a way to support the index in it.

That would be fine by me, at least.  The back-end can certainly be
replaced, provided that the replacement allows as efficient reading
and consulting the documentation as the Info format and its Emacs
viewer.

The issue here is mainly about the Texinfo source.  It doesn't make
sense to switch to another language, exactly as it doesn't make sense
to switch a C-based project to C++ or Java, when all the main
developers don't work and aren't proficient in these languages.  It's
a death blow to the project.