Re: Bidirectional text and URLs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bidirectional text and URLs
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:05:41 +0200

> Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 16:52:15 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> > It is easy to make an option turn off bidi processing.
> > All it has to do is make all characters seem LTR.
>
> That doesn't disable reordering, it just makes the results
> indistinguishable.

Actually, even this is not true: the directional overrides will still
have their effect.  So deeper changes are needed to countermand that
as well.

And I still don't understand the purpose of such a feature.  Users who
cannot read RTL won't be able to understand the text either way, and
don't know what is "the right" display to make any sense out of what
will be presented when bidi processing is "turned off".