Re: proposal: require GnuTLS 3.1.x (previous stable)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: proposal: require GnuTLS 3.1.x (previous stable)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:51:43 -0500

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 21:13:58 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> FWIW, I just got a note about this on gnutls-devel that strongly
>> suggests supporting GnuTLS 3.x only:

>> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/7811

SM> Either you posted the wrong link or we disagree about what it says.
SM> My reading of it doesn't say that we should only support GnuTLS-3.x, but
SM> that we should start supporting GnuTLS-3.x ASAP.

I asked for clarification; please see the followup from Nikos (and his

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/7814

"Whether you need to support gnutls 2.12.x is up to you. However, I note
that this version is totally unsupported, if it is broken or has a
critical bug you are on your own."

I hope that helps clarify things and perhaps convince you and others
that we should stop supporting GnuTLS 2.6.6 (the current minimum) or any
other 2.x GnuTLS release with Emacs 25.

Thanks
Ted