Re: merging emacs-24

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: merging emacs-24
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 09:20:38 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 19:28:22 -0500
>>
>> One request: maybe it could log what it does, especially the shell
>> commands, a little better.
>
> It's actually something I sorely miss in Git itself: a full log of all
> commands.  Bazaar has ~/.bzr.log, which over the years was invaluable
> for tracking past problems and also my own mistakes (and mistakes made
> by others) in using the tool.  I hope Git will get such a feature, or
> maybe it already does.

I experimented with setting the GIT_TRACE and GIT_TRACE_SETUP
environment variables to ~/.git.log.  On the upside, you get a log of
what was done.  On the downside, you get a log of just about
_everything_ that was done.  It is difficult to tell at a glance what
command you typed in versus what commands your command is running under
the hood.  (Though git is usually fast enough that looking at the
timestamps can give you a very good indication of what was manual versus
automated.)

It's definitely not as nice as .bzr.log, and the output is more tuned to
debugging git than remembering what you did.  But you should probably
try it and see if its output is useful for you.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)