Re: merging emacs-24

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: merging emacs-24
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 10:31:11 +0200

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 19:33:50 -0500
>
> TZ> [merge "merge-changelog"]
> TZ>         name = GNU-style ChangeLog merge driver
> TZ>         driver = /usr/local/bin/git-merge-changelog %O %A %B
>
> I'm not sure if this means that `git-merge-changelog' doesn't work the
> way the Emacs maintainers want, or that I used it incorrectly. Hints
> welcome. Most importantly, I need to know if I leave this in my
> gitconfig but try to use gitmerge.el, the result will be bad from the
> maintainers' perspective.

I think you should keep that entry, but you need to examine the
results in ChangeLog anyway.  git-merge-changelog does try to be smart
about where to put merged ChangeLog entries, but it cannot always do a
perfect job.  AFAICS, gitmerge.el doesn't fix that (maybe it should
try), so manual labor is still required.