Re: proposal: require GnuTLS 3.1.x (previous stable)

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: proposal: require GnuTLS 3.1.x (previous stable)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 18:55:34 +0000

 >> Conditionally supporting GnuTLS 2.6.6 is a pain because many
 >> functions were added since then.  It complicates the code
 >> significantly today and for the future, possibly hiding bugs in the
 >> compatibility layers.  We're already starting to see these
 >> compilation issues in the bug tracker and on emacs-devel and it
 >> would be nice to cut the cord now.

 > I think it'll be many years before there is a non-significant number
 > of gnutls 2.x users out there.  The current Debian Stable uses 2.12,

        Yet Jessie is already frozen, so I guess we may see Debian 8
        released in the first half (if not quarter) of 2015.

        Personally, I’d suggest retaining GnuTLS 2 support until a month
        or two after that at the least.

 > and the various LTS versions of the different GNU/Linux distributions
 > will remain on 2.x for a Long Time, I think.

        Yes, although I’d rather question the necessity of building
        Emacs ‘master’ on an LTS GNU/Linux system.  If the intent is to
        use the last decade’s versions of Libc and Coreutils, – why
        Emacs has to be newer than that?

        Especially given that the older versions of the system, when
        necessary to support legacy software, could be just as well be
        run in chroot(2) environments.  (Or even be entirely “virtual.”)

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A