Re: Testing the new VC code

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Testing the new VC code
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 19:35:39 +0100

> Michael Albinus <address@hidden>:
>> I do worry as well, because I do a lot of vc operations over a remote
>> (Tramp) connection. Is there a chance to test your code, maybe even
>> before it enters trunk?

> I would be *delighted* to have you test it. Others should pile in as
> well.  I can test thoroughly under git and RCS.  I'm not really
> worried about any of the other back ends except CVS and SVN, but those
> could be trouble spots.

> Patch enclosed.

Instead of a patch, you could push the feature branch to an empty github
repo if you don't wish to clutter up the emacs repo with feature
branches.

Just add a new empty github repo named emacs-features, and then, from
your feature branch:
 git remote add emacs-features https://github.com/esr/emacs-features
 git push emacs-features HEAD

People who wish to take a look at the feature branch can then do
something like this:
 git remote add esr-emacs-features https://github.com/esr/emacs-features
 git fetch esr-emacs-features
 git checkout master
 git checkout -b my-test-of-new-vc-mode
 git merge esr-emacs-features/name-of-feature-branch

(replace "name-of-feature-branch" with the actual name of the feature
branch)