Re: My plans for VC mode

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: My plans for VC mode
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 15:02:40 -0500

Steinar Bang <address@hidden>:
> Well, whether there will be a rewrite or not, here's a bug I would very
> much like to see fixed: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=8756
>
> Ie. make vc-git.el's 'C-x v l' track history across renames (and make
> stuff like annotate and diff from hashes work past renames).

That would be *quite* hard, and is out of scope of my plans.  The
extent to which VCSes make it even possible to track across renames
varies a lot; the mechanisms for it, where they exist, are complex and
tend to be flaky.

Even if we restrict attention to git, log --follow only works on
single files...