Re: Cluttering the git tree

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Cluttering the git tree
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 19:27:46 +0100

Ulf Jasper writes:
>> Another idea is to put your intermediate commits into a new branch and
>> then merge them into master with git merge --squash.
>
> That is, what I was looking for.  Thank you, Bill!

No, that's a terrible idea, please forget it immediately.

> This is how I (will) work: I am not changing files on the master branch
> but on a temporary branch, while keeping the master branch synced with
> the public repository, like so:
>
>     a - b - c - d    master
>          \
>           x - y - z  temporary
>
> I am doing commits on the temporary branch so that I can easily switch
> branches.  Once I have finished working on the temporary thing I merge
> the *results* of that work into the master branch
>
>     git checkout master
>     git merge --squash temporary

Presumably there was some logic for you to do x, y and z in that order.
If you squash, that gets lost to anyone reading the change.  If you want
to present a different logic now that you've implemented everything you
should maybe rewrite your branch to t-u-v-w, but certainly not squash
it.  Unless it really is a trivial thing that should have been a single
commit all along.

Regards,
Achim.