Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:35:34 +0000

Hello, Stephen.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 08:07:12AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Sergey Organov writes:

>  > You see, you should have had no "made on that branch" in your
>  > description, provided you describe Gits' idea of a branch, not your one,
>  > as Git does not remember on what branch commit was made.

> No DAG-based VCS (with the single exception of Mercurial's "named
> branches" AFAIK) remembers on what branch a commit was made.

Are you sure?  When I do
    hg log -b c++11-0-1
, Mercurial lists every changeset made on branch c++11-0-1, and no other
changesets.  It knows when the branch was created, and distinguishes it
from the other branch it separated from.

I think this last feature is missing in git.

> What Mercurial and Bazaar try to do is ensure a one-to-many branch-to-
> workspace mapping, so that you must change workspaces to change the
> focus of development.  Some people apparently enjoy that restraint.

Can't say I've ever felt that to be any sort of restriction.  I can
imagine that having nine or ten foci of development in on workspace
would be unworkable in the extreme.

> What amazes me is that they're not all Java developers. ;-)

:-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).