Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [RFC] Correctly handling MinGW-w64
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 08:02:22 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Didn't we toss the src/s/*.h files for this very reason?

Of course. But that was something different: those .h files contained information that could not be inferred from already-existing C code and therefore had to be configured. They were handcrafted subroutines of 'configure', so to speak, just as m4/*.m4 is now. The case we are talking about is different, because this information can be inferred from already-existing C code. Here, there's no need to involve 'configure' or any of its subroutines no matter what technology they use.

Given that we're now requiring GNU Make, I expect there's a lot of other stuff we could now move out of 'configure', if we had the time. Which would be a good thing: 'configure' is reaaally slow and is a pain to maintain. The smaller it is, the better.