Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 14:54:06 +0300

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

>> Because in GIT commits are not on a branch. All commits are arranged into
>> DAG, and branch is just a pointer into the DAG. Any given commit is
>> either reachable from given branch or not. It's that simple.
>
> I think you're just playing with words, here.  We all know what a branch
> is, and git knows which revisions are on which branch (or branches?),

You pretend you don't understand what I said above? It's not for playing
with words. One better speaks "GIT language" if he wants to be efficient
with GIT. Doing otherwise is, well, like speaking procedural in
functional language...

> otherwise your command below couldn't work.

They could, because there is the DAG.

>> Try:
>
>> $ git log --oneline --decorate emacs24 ^master
>
>> that will show all commits that are reachable from 'emacs24' but not
>> reachable from 'master'.
>
> That's very impressive, but not what I want.  I want to see all recent
> commits together, each one annotated with which branch it's on.  That's
> surely not too much to ask for.  I want annotation, not filtering.

Did you try my another suggestion then?

$ git show-branch emacs24 master

--
Sergey.