Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: A simple git workflow for the rest of us
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 15:42:49 +0100

David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

> I strongly suggest to change the default to something like 'simple',
> which will only update the current branch to the corresponding upstream
> branch with the same name. This was also made the new default in Git
> 2.x (way too late, but at least they changed it).
>
> You can set this globally by doing
>
>   git config --global push.default simple

I see; thanks.  Is there a way to set this for the Emacs repository
only, so that the simple git Emacs instructions doesn't affect what the
developer might otherwise be working on?  Or, since the default has
changed now, is this something that basically everybody wants, so it
really should be global?

> Note that 'simple' is only available since Git 1.7.11, and Debian stable
> still has 1.7.10. On older versions you can use 'upstream' or maybe
> 'current' (see 'git help config' to see the available options for
> 'push.default'), but I'd rather suggest to update Git from
> wheezy-backports.

For the instructions, I'd rather have a recipe that works for everybody
without installing newer git versions.  My git version has "upstream"
and "current" as possibilities...