Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: Rewriting bzrmerge.el
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 17:34:06 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> From: David Engster <address@hidden>
>> So, with bzr, we could pretty easily commit only the meta-data of
>> skipped commits, so that they were regarded as merged. But being the
>> stupid content tracker that Git is, I think that ship has sailed.
>
> You mean, if I merge a commit, and then make another commit that
> undoes all the changes of the first one, that first commit will not
> appear in the DAG?  I'd be surprised.
>
> Or are you saying that if I do the above, then merge again from the
> same branch, Git will again bring the same stuff and effectively undo
> my undo?

No. Explicitly reverting the commit is one possibility that works, but
that's ugly and tedious, especially when the commit has conflicts (which
is pretty common, since this is often the reason why it should be
skipped in the first place).

With Bazaar, you could gradually build up your merge in a series of
smaller merges using different strategies (granted, that involved using
the '--force' option, but nonetheless, it was possible). In the end,
this lead to one single merge commit from the emacs-24 branch, which was
nice and tidy. I was hoping one of the git experts around here could
tell me how to do that with git.

-David