Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Obscure error/warning/information message from git pull
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 12:03:43 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:46:20 +0100
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> I'd be much easier if you used git new-workdir.
>
> Which Git versions are safe to use with this?  What are the caveats?
> (I presume there are caveats, since you said on several occasions that
> "it is being worked on".)

Looking at the shell script, what it does is create the new work
directory and a .git dir within it, and then symbolically links all
important files/directories from the original repository's .git
directory into the new .git dir, using ln -s.  The HEAD link is copied
rather than symlinked.

So, from Windows this will probably work if "ln -s" does something
reasonable and all the underlying stuff your version of git uses deals
with symlinks properly.  (This wasn't always a reasonable assumption
under Windows in the past.  You would know better than me what the
current state of symlinks on Windows is.)

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(address@hidden)