Re: need help adjusting workflow to git (or vice versa)

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: need help adjusting workflow to git (or vice versa)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:44:22 +0100

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:10:45 -0800 Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 11/13/2014 11:51 AM, Stephen Berman wrote:
>> I would be very surprised if either of these approaches is used by most
>> developers using git, because if so, I'd have expected them to be part
>> of the standard toolkit and well documented.
>
> "git clone" is part of the standard Git toolkit, and is well documented.  It's
> what I use for your scenario, if I understand the scenario correctly.  And
> "git clone" should be fast enough; for Emacs it takes 1.3 seconds on my
> 3-year-old desktop's hard disk.

That's what Martin referred to, isn't it?  It takes considerably longer
on my older and feebler hardware, also compared with `bzr update' and
`bzr pull --overwrite' in a shared repository.  And the size is also not
insignificant, if it means having a copy of the entire Emacs repository
for each build (~540M).  Is that really the standard procedure?  If so,
I guess I'll get used to it, but it does surprise me.

Steve Berman