Re: Newer commits on the git repo

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Newer commits on the git repo
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:06:48 -0600

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
>Dani Moncayo <address@hidden> writes:
>> Also, I've cloned the repo like this:
>>   git clone http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git
>You should use http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs.git instead.

For those of us not keeping score at home, can you explain what the "r"
is?  Or rather, what's the difference between Lars' recommendation of

  $ git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git

for non-developers and your recomemndation of

  $ git clone http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs.git

for Dani just now?  Is it just that one is git:// and the other is
http:// ?

(I'm wondering if "git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git" is for those
who don't have commit-er-I-mean-push access, then what's the right Git
URL for those who do have commit access?  I'm sure someone posted the
answer at some point on this list, but it's buried in a thousand emails,
and the Savannah front page hasn't been updated yet.)

Best,
-Karl